I did a lesson on Ed Hardy with my Grade 7s. I tried the project myself before I gave it to them of course. The project was to come up with a design around South Africa, here’s mine:
So I had my superhero photos ready. I chose the two that I thought were most attractive/ communicative. These I pulled into Photoshop, made it B&W (by making a solid black layer set to color), added a dark vignette, played with the levels a bit and added a simple filter. I felt that this would be easy enough to teach in any class as it only really requires one computer. They looked like this:
Having chosen my background image and decided on my superhero characteristics, I needed to think about the font I would use as well as finalize a logo. These would then have to be traced (manually again) onto paper, cut out and then pasted down onto the printed image. I never enjoyed doing this when I was at school or university as I do struggle to be neat and careful with it.
The final image, when I was done, looked something a little like this:
So that was it. Doing this project reminded me of some of the constraints of a student in school. When I finished school and varsity I went with the computer way of doing things and didn’t look back. I forgot about the battle of keeping things neat and tidy when working with scissors and glue! Whether learning to do things by hand first is better is a moot point. In South Africa, it is not possible to move onto computers earlier as many of the kids don’t have access to one and doing so would just widen the gap.
So I had an idea of some of the cool, eagle-like abilities that I wanted my superhero to have. I started brainstorming and jotting down some ideas. I soon came up with a pretty cool superhero. I wasn’t 100% satisfied with the wings (they’d be impractical for a superhero to walk with – and he can’t fly ALL the time) but I was happy:
I now had to dress up like the hero… No mean feat, and you will laugh!
The temptation was there to just take a pic of myself and add in the extra details in post using Photoshop. I had to be firm with myself however as I wanted to see what it would be like to do this project as a learner in school. All I had at my disposal was what I could find around the house…Some paper, toilet rolls, towels and clothing! Not much to go on.
I started by wrapping paper around my one hat and putting this on backwards. I then taped blue play dough to my face and stuck the beak on with this. Finally I scrunched half the inner toilet rolls in each eyelid, took three butter knifes between the fingers and, wearing a long sleeved black top in the sweltering heat I was ready!
Evil doers be ware!!!
Tomorrow I’ll reveal the final poster…
In learning to teach design and art, it is important to be able to do design and art projects. With this as the motivating factor I decided to try my hand at doing a design project…the old school way. This meant as little use of computer and technology (as possible).
The project I chose was one I had got from a very experienced design teacher at Frank Joubert art school in Cape Town. It basically involved producing a poster for a made up superhero which advertises his/her/its strengths and weaknesses. Unsaid in this is that you have to first conceptualize your hero, come up with a cool name and some powers. The other very interesting thing that the project wants is that you should then dress up as the superhero and feature on your own poster! 😀
Deciding on a focus superpower wasn’t too tough for me, I’ve always wanted to be able to fly. 🙂 I immediately thought of an eagle type and got some reference:
I then analyzed these images and saw a some cool features:
Not to overload this one post, I’ll continue with the project tomorrow. 🙂
This is the great unveiling of the logo for Mole vs Earthworm!
Drum roll please…
I was recently doing a teaching practice at Alexander Sinton High School here in Cape Town. Coming from an animation background I decided to do a flipbook animation project with the grade 10 class, something I would have loved.
I scanned in two of the students work, chose a backing track, rendered it in after effects, et voila!
Drum roll please…