More Dr Seuss stuff!

20161108_144250

I got my grade 3s to design their own Dr Seuss like character. I showed them how he kind of took an existing creature and then changed it. I took a bat and made this guy. 🙂 The school had big bins that were being used to hold plans that they were going to throw away. My grade 3s and I took the bins, covered them with paper mache, painted their rims and legs and placed them around the entrance to the hall. We then put cocktail sticks on our creatures and stuck them into the bins!

20161117_0823371

20161114_075659

My grade 5s had to come up with what their dream was and then draw this on either a black piece of paper (like the one above) or a white piece of paper. I was ‘kind of’ joking  when I said it was my dream to be a king…Kind of…

Silhouette journey

This was done in preperation for a nice project I did with my grade 3s. We began by learning about the colours before choosing 3 and doing the abstract background in paint. I then played a game like pictionary on the board where I just drew the outline. Through this I tought them about silhouettes. They had to imagine they were on a journey. They needed to include their vehicle, where they were going and what would be there to greet them.

For mine I sailed on a boat to an island and I was met by a hippopota-moose!

20160804_084546

Elephant design

This was done in preperation for a school project with my grade 4s. They loved it! I began by teaching them about silhouettes and explaining what a Mandala is. I then gave them an outline of an elephant. They had to stick this onto cardboard and cut it out. They were given a page full of examples of elephant mandalas and were asked to decorate their elephants! They had to include an eye and an ear.20160818_085457

Protea Flower

Most of the art I do now days starts with an idea for a lesson I could teach. This started with a project I wanted to lead my adult class in. It was started by spraying a piece of white triplex paper/mounting board with water. I then dripped a few drops of Teddy Dye onto the wet paper, turning the page as I did so. This gives a very cool, abstract background. I was doing a still life at the time with my grade 7s, where they had to draw an arrangement of Fynbos. Fortunately this gave me a protea flower to draw! I drew this, first in pencil and the using fineliner. I then cut it out and stuck it onto the colourful background. I loved this project and plan to make a much bigger one!

Protea.jpg